Tuesday, June 7, 2011

May Book Club


Jack is five. He lives with his Ma. They live in a single, locked room. They don’t have the key.

Jack and Ma are prisoners.

'Beautifully written, this moving and ultimately uplifting novel is Donoghue's masterpiece.'
--Gay Community News

'Emma Donoghue's bestseller pulses with fierce intelligence as much as powerful emotion . . . Room seeks and finds a common truth, about the private worlds of language and feeling that we all inhabit.' --Independent

I LOVED this book. I have started back at Book Club with a few women from my work and this was the first book for our year.
Written from the perspective of Jack who is 5 years old, it portrays the innocence of a child and how different the world is from their perspective, so literal and in this case, his world is 'Room.'

On a personal note, I also loved the relationship between Ma and Jack- so natural and survivalist. It reminded me of this quote by Jennifer Coias:

"In all my time and effort spent researching the best ways to mother, I have come full circle to realize that in almost all cases, the best choices for the health of children and mothers are the ones you would make if stranded on a deserted island and forced to follow your instincts. Trust birth. Breastfeed. Keep your baby whole. Sleep by your baby. Wear your baby. Communicate with your baby. Listen and respond to your baby's cues and cries. "

If this was the kind of blog that rated books (it isn't!) I would give this 4 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment