Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Breastfeeding Awareness Week

Ok... not a feeding photo~ but milk drunk...

This was taken on the weekend by G, what a beautiful place to feed Avalon... and I loved that Grant decided to take this photo

at Godalming Food Festival in July

I love this one...


Did you know?

By breastfeeding Avalon I have decreased my risk of breast, ovarian, uterine and endometrial cancers, plus osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis? The longer I feed her, the lower my risks get too and she herself is at a decreased risk of cancer also.

 In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breastmilk provides:
◦29% of energy requirements
◦43% of protein requirements
◦36% of calcium requirements
◦75% of vitamin A requirements
...◦76% of folate requirements
◦94% of vitamin B12 requirements
◦60% of vitamin C requirements
-- Dewey 2001

The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends breastfeeding 2 years and BEYOND. There is so much more to breastfeeding than nutrition. I can comfort and soothe my daughter immediately and my milk is designed just for her and her needs.
~

Avalon and I have enjoyed 16 months of a beautiful, nursing relationship~ we have had our ups and downs, but the positives have far outweighed our challenges and I feel so grateful that I have had this experience with her.

Breast is not best- it is NORMAL.

No comments:

Post a Comment